Joe Bresnan is a skilled general practitioner who has represented Montgomery County residents and businesses since leaving the District Attorney’s office in 1989. His practice areas have included personal injury and negligence litigation, business and general civil litigation, family law (including divorce, custody, and support), forming businesses, criminal defense, and the preparation of wills. Joe has also practiced municipal law, throughout his career.
Municipal law has always been a large and important part of Joe’s career since leaving the District Attorney’s office, and his passion is now devoted entirely to that area of the law. Joe is proud to represent boroughs, townships, sewer authorities and zoning hearing boards from one end of the county to the other, including Ambler Borough, Rockledge Borough, Upper Hanover Township, Upper Providence Township, and West Pottsgrove Township. We are proud to have Joe as an important part of our long tradition of offering practical and steady advice to municipalities throughout the county.
Over the course of his 31 years of practice, Joe has enjoyed the best compliment his clients could possibly give: they come back when new problems arise, and they refer him to friends and family in need of help. To those people Joe has helped with divorces, injuries, arrests, business problems, and civil litigation, feel free to call Joe whenever you, family or friends run into a future need for help. He will be happy to meet with you and discuss which attorney in our full service law firm can best partner with you to get the result you need. Joe is more than happy to meet with you right away, in those first trying days after a problem arises, at either our Lansdale or Pottstown location.
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania,1985
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals, 1985
- The Pennsylvania State University, B.A., Labor and Industrial Relations, 1982
- Widener University School of Law, 1985
Honors and Awards
- In January 2018, Joe was elected by President Judge Thomas DelRicci to serve on a committee he created to review new rules of procedure for appeals of cases involving zoning and land development.
- Joe had the privilege of serving for sixteen years as the attorney for the Montgomery County Board of Elections, which oversees the election process for all primary and general elections throughout the county.
- Joe has been appointed by the Court of Common Pleas to serve as counsel for children seeking to have their opinions heard in contested custody actions.
- In his capacity as solicitor to Ambler Borough, the Ambler Gazette named him in 2013 to its list of “125 Things We Love About Ambler."
- Joe taught criminal law at an area paralegal and business school.
- Joe was the youngest person ever made captain of a trial team in the District Attorney’s office. He was also the youngest person ever named to the chairmanship of the Board of View, a three-person board that sets fair compensation for persons who have land taken through eminent domain.
- Upon graduating from law school, Joe served as a law clerk to the president judge of Pennsylvania’s Superior Court, one of the state’s two intermediate appellate courts.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Montgomery Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Member of real estate, family law, and litigation committees
- International Municipal Lawyers Association (past member)
- Pennsylvania Borough Solicitors’ Association